The simple past tense is a verb tense used to describe an action that was completed in the past. It is formed by adding “-ed” to regular verbs or using irregular verbs in their past tense form. For example:
- Regular verb: I walked to the store yesterday.
- Irregular verb: She swam in the lake last summer.
Here are some more examples of sentences in the simple past tense:
- I finished my homework before dinner.
- He played basketball with his friends after school.
- She visited her grandparents over the weekend.
- They went to the beach for vacation last year.
- We watched a movie together on Friday night.
Note that some verbs are irregular and do not follow the regular “-ed” pattern. For example, the past tense of “go” is “went”, and the past tense of “eat” is “ate”. It’s important to memorize irregular verb forms in order to use them correctly in the past tense.
Here are examples of sentences in the positive, negative, and question forms using the simple past tense:
- I visited my grandparents last weekend.
- She watched a movie at the theater yesterday.
- He finished his work early.
- They played soccer in the park this morning.
- We ate dinner at the new restaurant.
- I did not visit my grandparents last weekend.
- She did not watch a movie at the theater yesterday.
- He did not finish his work early.
- They did not play soccer in the park this morning.
- We did not eat dinner at the new restaurant.
- Did you visit your grandparents last weekend?
- Did she watch a movie at the theater yesterday?
- Did he finish his work early?
- Did they play soccer in the park this morning?
- Did we eat dinner at the new restaurant?
Note: In the negative form, we use “did not” (or its contracted form “didn’t”) before the base form of the verb. In the question form, we use “did” before the subject, and the base form of the verb follows. Also, with regular verbs, the past tense is formed by adding “-ed” to the base form of the verb in the positive and negative forms. For irregular verbs, the past tense forms may not follow this pattern and should be memorized.